CNY DIY (Farm Tour Edition) - Upcycling Mandarin Oranges into Eco-friendly Fertilisers and Cleaners
Chinese New Year is fast-approaching. As soon as those Christmas lights come down, the red lanterns will start to decorate our streets. Soon, our bellies will be filled with pineapple tarts and prawn rolls (our fave), and our fingers with the beautiful fragrance of mandarin orange peels.
But with every pair of oranges exchanged, and each luscious segment eaten, what happens to the peels? In this workshop, turn food waste to gold, as Edible Garden City’s trainers prepare you to upcycle your citrus skins into eco-friendly plant fertilisers and enzyme cleaners!
Before we dive into the orange peel workshop, enjoy a tour of our farm! One of our urban farmers will bring you through our unique urban farming solution, including stops at our indoor microgreens room, outdoor gardens, and container farms. Join as they share their journey to becoming an urban farmer, and anecdotes of a lesser-trodden path. Learn about the closed-loop and minimal-waste model of growing vegetables that we adopt here in our urban farm, and how farming could be used as a platform to create a more inclusive and healthy society. Find out how we are reconnecting city dwellers with nature, and about sustainable farming systems such as regenerative agriculture and food forestry.
What are orange enzymes?
Orange enzymes are made from fermenting orange peels with sugar and water. These enzyme cleaners are chemical-free, bio-degradable and gentle on hands and the environment. Everyday household uses for enzyme cleaners include:
- Natural repellent that keeps ants and cockroaches at bay without harming them directly.
- As a detergent for mopping the floor, it will clean and remove any odours.
- Apply to your rugs or certain materials to remove stains.
- Post mopping, the water can even be used to water your plants!
- Dilute the enzyme cleaner and use it as a natural pesticide for your plant babies!
Join us to learn how citrus peels (such as orange, lime, lemon, grapefruit) that we typically discard can be used to create the multi-purpose natural enzymes. During the workshop, participants will learn:
- The process of creating an enzyme cleaner – from how to mix it and knowing when it is ready.
- Including tricks on how to speed up the process (it usually takes 3 months, but we have a secret ingredient!)
- About the benefits of going eco and creating cleaners with food waste.
- Tips and tricks for use around the house.
This workshop also includes a hands-on segment where participants will be guided to:
- Prepare ingredients for the concoction.
- Mix and prepare the solution.
You will be able to bring home the finished product, for further fermentation and use at home! Participants are required to bring along a second-hand plastic container with a lid (those red-topped CNY cookie jars are perfect!), as well as any citrus peels you might have collected.
[To store citrus peels, try throwing them into a container in the fridge! This keeps them from rotting and smelling up the house.]
As part of the session, each participant will be able to take home:
- 1 bag of leafy greens, grown right here at our farm.
- Your home-made orange enzymes.
This workshop is recommended for young adults and adults aged 13 and above. All attendees regardless of age require a ticket. Please note that the workshop will be conducted in English.
📆 30 January 2021, Saturday
⏰ 10am to 12pm, 230pm to 430pm (up to 18 pax per slot)
📍 Edible Garden City, 60 Jalan Penjara Singapore 149375
🎟 $48 / pax (U.P. $68), including all taxes and materials
🏡 🌱 🏙️ 🥬 🌏 🍊 ♻️
CNY DIY Farm Tour Edition (30.01.21)
In the spirit of sustainable living and eco-consciousness, we would like to urge everyone to bring your own container to recycle and to bring your own bag to carry your take-aways home after your workshop session!