Plants are like us, they need a safe space to live, water to drink, and food to eat. And what we eat is very important. For health and wellness, a balanced diet is best. Same goes for our plants.
In this workshop, jointly organized by Edible Garden City and Insectta, find out how to create the right soil mix for your plants, and how black soldier fly poop might be the solution to your plant problems.
Black soldier flies are farming’s unsung heroes. They are unfussy about the food waste they consume, and their poop makes great fertilizer! Insectta, the brains behind Singapore’s first insect farm, will conduct a seminar on insect farming and its role in the future of agriculture. The session includes an exclusive tour of the Insectta facility, and a hands-on learning experience centered around sustainability, food waste, and of course… insects!
After you’ve learned how fertilizer can be made from the fly poop, find out how to apply the fertilizer to your plants! Edible Garden City’s experienced farmers will bring you through a soil mixing and planting workshop. During this segment, you will learn about:
- Identifying different soil types and types of soil mixes.
- Soil testing – how to find out the nutrient levels and pH of soil, and the effects.
- Properties of a good soil mix; soil fertility.
- Soil deficiencies and troubleshooting – for instance what does it mean when your plant leaves turns yellow, and how should the soil be tweaked to fix this?
- Organic supplements (compost, natural fertilizer, manure, BSF frass, food waste etc.).
The session also includes hands-on sessions where participants will be guided in interactive and immersive activities:
- Interacting with black soldier fly larvae.
- Mixing their own soil to prepare for the potting of a stem cutting.
- Propagating a plant through stem cutting, into your own soil mix. You can bring the finished product home, along with a pack of the black soldier fly compost.
In addition, participants will enjoy an abridged tour of Edible Garden City’s closed loop Queenstown farm, and learn how we as commercial growers use natural composting methods to grow food, without harming the environment.
This workshop is designed for young adults and adults aged 13 and above. Please note that the workshop will be conducted in English.
📆 01 February 2020, Saturday
⏰ 10am - 1230pm
📍 Edible Garden City, 60 Jalan Penjara, Singapore 149375
🎟 $65 / pax, including all taxes and materials
Finding the Right Soil for Our Plants Workshop (01.02.20)
In the spirit of sustainable living and eco-consciousness, we would like to urge everyone to bring your own containers to recycle and to bring your own bag to carry your take-aways home after your workshop session!
1. All workshop tickets are non-refundable.
2. Participants are required to show proof of purchase by producing the workshop tickets in digital or physical form.
3. Any exchange of workshop dates or participant names will be considered on case-by-case basis. Participants should inform us of any proposed changes at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 3 days before the actual day of the workshop.
4. In the case of no-show, late attendance or early departure, no refund, replacement, make-up or exchange will be made.
5. Terms and conditions are subjected to change without notice at any time and at the sole discretion of Edible Garden City.