The fashion industry is the second largest polluter in the world, and much of it is due to the staggering amount of clothing that goes to waste. Only 15% of all textile waste is recycled or donated, with the rest going to landfills or incinerated. Moreover, synthetic fibres like polyester, which are commonly used in fast fashion, are not biodegradable and take hundreds of years to break down.
With spring cleaning season upon us, Edible Garden City and WithAutumn have designed this workshop to inspire you to prolong the usable life of your clothes by turning them into a piece of artistic hand-woven tapestry!
During this 3-hour class, learn how to repurpose that old blouse or ragged pair of pants into colourful yarn, that will later be weaved into a one-of-a-kind wall-hung art piece. Learn basic weaving techniques, make tassels and fringes. You will also get to make your own weaving loom using recycled materials!
You will need to bring your own scissors and 1-2 pieces of clothing – something that is simple like a t-shirt or a shift dress (best to avoid materials that fray easily or knit wear), so you can spend more time weaving than cutting them up! Do plan ahead to decide the colours you’d like to be included in your woven tapestry! Otherwise, you may also exchange materials with other workshop participants.
During this workshop, expect to learn:
- About the environmental impact of the fashion industry.
- How to repurpose old clothing into yarn.
- Basic weaving techniques.
- How to create tassels and fringe details.
This workshop also includes a hands-on portion, where you will:
- Create a weaving loom out of cardboard.
- Break your used clothing down into strings of yarn.
- Weave a one-of-a-kind wall-mountable art piece out of your old clothing, using the DIY loom and yarn.
During the session, unwind with new friends and enjoy complimentary light bites and tea.
This workshop is designed for young adults and adults aged 13 and above.
Date: 12 January 2020, Sunday
Time: 10am - 1pm
Venue: Edible Garden City, 60 Jalan Penjara Singapore 149375
Price: $76 / pax, including all taxes and materials
Old Clothes, New Life: DIY Loom & Yarn Tapestry Weaving Workshop (12.01.20)
In the spirit of sustainable living and eco-consciousness, we would like to urge everyone to bring your own bag to carry your take-aways home after your workshop session!
1. All workshop tickets are non-refundable.
2. Participants are required to show proof of purchase by producing the workshop tickets in digital or physical form.
3. Any exchange of workshop dates or participant names will be considered on case-by-case basis. Participants should inform us of any proposed changes at email@example.com at least 3 days before the actual day of the workshop.
4. In the case of no-show, late attendance or early departure, no refund, replacement, make-up or exchange will be made.
5. Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice at any time and at the sole discretion of Edible Garden City.