Sentosa and Edible Garden City are proud to present our first collaboration workshop: Wartime Food & Sustainability. Immerse yourself into the rich history of our little island, while learning more about the past, present and future of food in Singapore.
Today, we have ready access to a myriad of food choices. But without the lessons that we learned and the spirit of survival from the war, we would not be as well-off as we are today. So much of our food culture and national identity has been influenced by our country’s occupation during World War II.
Hidden in the midst of the rich history of Fort Siloso, is a hidden gem of an edible garden. Take a walk through on a guided tour, and learn about how our grandparents and their parents ate during the war. Touch, smell and taste spices and herbs, and find out how these ingredients were used to flavour the staple tapioca and sweet potato dishes.
Finally, hone your own green thumbs with a hands-on tapioca plant growing experience.
During this workshop, participants will:
- Learn about wartime agriculture and nutrition.
- Glean lessons from wartime experiences, particularly focused on food sustainability and food resilience eg. How to use every part of the plant.
- Find out how Singapore (and urban farmers like us) are tackling today’s food issues.
- Take a tour of the Surrender Chambers, focusing on reflecting on the evolution of food culture from then to now.
- Gain tips on growing sustainable starches like sweet potato and tapioca.
- Enjoy a multi-sensory tour of the Fort Siloso edible garden.
- Get growing: Prepare your own planting medium and plant tapioca cuttings into your planter pot.
Participants will grow and nurture their own tapioca plant which can be harvested in about 1-3 months' time!
This workshop is suitable for all ages 3 and up. Any child under the age of 12 should be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Please note that the workshop will be conducted in English.
📆 21 November 2020, Saturday
⏰ 10am to 12pm, 1230pm to 230pm, 3pm to 5pm
(up to 10 pax per slot)
📍 Surrender Chambers at Fort Siloso, Siloso Road, Singapore 099981
🎟 $68 / pax (U.P. $88), including all taxes and materials
🍠 🎖️ 🥬
Wartime Food & Sustainability Workshop (21.11.20)
In the spirit of sustainable living and eco-consciousness, we would like to urge everyone to bring your own bottle to recycle and to bring your own bag to carry your take-aways home after your workshop session!