Sentosa and Edible Garden City are proud to present our first collaboration workshop: Wartime Food – Sustainability and Resilience. Immerse yourself into the rich history of our little island, while learning more about the past, present and future of food in Singapore.
Today, we have ready access to a myriad of food choices. But without the lessons that we learned and the spirit of survival from the war, we would not be as well-off as we are today. So much of our food culture and national identity has been influenced by our country’s occupation during World War II.
Hidden in the midst of the rich history of Fort Siloso, is a hidden gem of an edible garden. Take a walk through on a guided tour, and learn about how our grandparents and their parents ate during the war. Touch, smell and taste spices and herbs, and find out how these ingredients were used to flavour the staple tapioca and sweet potato dishes.
Finally, end the afternoon with a communal hands-on cooking session. Using freshly-harvested ingredients, whip up simple dishes based on wartime recipes.
During this workshop, participants will:
- Learn about wartime agriculture and nutrition.
- Glean lessons from wartime experiences, particularly focused on food sustainability and food resilience eg. How to use every part of the plant.
- Find out how Singapore (and urban farmers like us) are tackling today’s food issues.
- Take a tour of the Surrender Chambers, focusing on reflecting on the evolution of food culture from then to now.
- Gain tips on growing sustainable starches like sweet potato and tapioca.
- Enjoy a multi-sensory tour of the Fort Siloso edible garden.
- Harvest and cook freshly-grown vegetables from the garden, trying out a wartime recipe.
This workshop is suitable for all ages 3 and up. As there will be a cooking segment, any child under the age of 12 should be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Please note that the workshop will be conducted in English.
📆 18 April 2020, Saturday
⏰ 4pm to 6pm
📍 Surrender Chambers at Fort Siloso, Siloso Road, Singapore 099981
🎟 $47 / pax, including all taxes and materials
Wartime Food - Sustainability & Resilience (18.04.20)
In the spirit of sustainable living and eco-consciousness, we would like to urge everyone to bring your own containers to recycle and to bring your own bag to carry your take-aways home after your workshop session!
1. All workshop tickets are non-refundable.
2. Participants are required to show proof of purchase by producing the workshop tickets in digital or physical form.
3. Any exchange of workshop dates or participant names will be considered on case-by-case basis. Participants should inform us of any proposed changes at email@example.com at least 3 days before the actual day of the workshop.
4. In the case of no-show, late attendance or early departure, no refund, replacement, make-up or exchange will be made.
5. Terms and conditions are subjected to change without notice at any time and at the sole discretion of Edible Garden City.